I recently celebrated Eid. Everyone around me was sharing happy moments with their family and friends. Among them one of my closest friends, Anannya, posted a story with the caption "best day." For some reason, my mind got stuck on those two words. I've written that same caption countless times before- best day.
It's not like those days weren't truly special, or that the ones before them stopped mattering. But every time life takes a gentle turn and smiles at me, I find myself using those same two words again. Maybe that's what life is- a string of moments that feel like the best day, in their own way.
While growing up, my idea of a 'best day' kept changing. As a kid, I used to think the best days only came once in a while- like a birthday, a picnic, or the last day of exams. If I had the best day today, I believed I'd have to wait another 365 days for the next one. But it turns out, life doesn't work like that. Best days aren't always rare or loud. Sometimes they show up quietly- in small wins, deep laughs, or even peaceful evenings. Maybe it was always like this, or maybe I just started seeing life a little differently. Everything about my life has changed over the years- except the fact that it's still mine. And maybe that’s what makes it special.
Not all 'best days' look the same. Sometimes it's the day I finally let go of something that's been weighing on my chest for too long. The relief may not feel like joy right away, but it is a kind of peace. Other times, it's a quiet night where I sat with someone I love and had a conversation that felt real - raw, honest, and needed. Or maybe, it was a day when no one was around, and for the first time, that didn't feel lonely. It just felt... peaceful.
I realized… best days aren't always loud or picture-perfect. They don't always come with big celebrations or fireworks. Sometimes, they arrive quietly- like a soft breeze you almost miss if you're not paying attention.
There was the day I hit publish on my very first blog post. I had no idea if anyone would read it, but it felt like I finally gave a little piece of myself to the world. That quiet courage? That was a best day.
Or the day I opened my embroidery business page. I was nervous, excited, and full of doubts. But then someone placed the first order. I stared at the screen for a while, smiling like an idiot. It felt like the start of something real. And it was.
Then came the day I stood on stage and received the Vice Chancellor's Award for the first time. My name echoed in the hall, my heart raced - and just like that, I had proof that hard work does bloom. But even then, I remember thinking, 'I want to do better.' Funny how the best days sometimes make you want to grow even more.
And there are the soft days- the ones where I play with Kiko-Kai, or now, Fifi. Just chasing around the room, tiny paws tapping on the floor, silly little things that make the heart full. No big moment, no applause. Just happiness, pure and simple.
And of course, the old kind of best days- the ones that live in comfort. Like spending time with a friend you’ve known for 12 years, laughing about the same old jokes, still finishing each other's sentences. Nothing changes, and that's the best part. We’ve seen life twist and turn, and yet, here we are. That counts as the best day too, doesn't it?
Then there was this one day I gifted myself a little Harry Potter merch- nothing big, just something I'd wanted for a while. I remember holding it, smiling like a kid, feeling like I had just hugged a piece of my childhood. It wasn't on any calendar, but it was the best day.
So maybe 'best days' aren't always about being happy. Sometimes, they're about healing, growing, loving, or just being present. They come in all shapes- loud, quiet, messy, soft. You just have to notice them.
And maybe that's why I remember them all so clearly.
I have this habit of remembering dates- not just the big ones, but even the quiet, ordinary days. A random Thursday when something felt different. A moment I didn't think would matter much but ended up staying with me.
I don't always write them down, but I carry them. And when those dates return, it's like the memory whispers, 'Hey, remember this?'
It makes even regular days feel like something more.
And maybe… today will become one of those 'best days' too.
Not because something big happened, but because I sat down, let my thoughts wander, and wrote all this. Maybe one day, I'll look back at this moment and smile at how I tried to put life into words.
So, if today feels just okay, hold onto it anyway.
You never know- it might become a day your future self counts as a 'best day' too. Cheers!

No comments:
Post a Comment