Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Imaginary Friends

Have you ever wondered why so many children have imaginary friends? These invisible companions often seem to understand us better than anyone else, providing comfort, courage, and advice. As I reflect on this event, a thought occurred to me: What if these imaginary friends were not just creations of our imagination but representations of our hidden selves? The more sensible, braver, and wiser parts of us that we instinctively turn to for guidance.

As children, we created these friends to navigate the complexities of growing up, seeking solace in their company when the world felt overwhelming. But perhaps, in reality, we were tapping into an inner strength, a part of ourselves that we could not yet fully understand or articulate. This hidden self, masked as an imaginary friend, was there to support us, encourage us, and help us make sense of the world. Has everyone had e imaginary friend when they were kids?

As kids, when we felt sad and went outside to play with our imaginary friends, we were actually spending time with our happier selves. Those playful moments were a glimpse into the joy that our hidden selves held within. Similarly, when we sought validation from others, wanting them to recognize our abilities, it was our inner selves whispering words of encouragement. Deep down, they know us better than anyone else, understanding every part of our being.

Imagine a rainy day, and a child stands outside, captivated by the gentle sound of raindrops. They spot a puddle nearby and their eyes light up with joy at the idea of playing in the water. However, a brief worry crosses their mind—will Mom get upset if they get wet and muddy? Despite their strong desire to jump into the puddle, they hesitate, turning to their imaginary friend for advice. In reality, they're consulting their inner wisdom, torn between what they want and what their parents expect. Childhood often means having few options; even if the imaginary friend encourages them to jump, some rules may stop them.

As we get older, when everything feels tough, we often find our inner selves becoming our best buddies. We lean on them for comfort, strength, and happiness. Remember when we were kids and couldn't splash in puddles because of our parents' rules? Now, even if we can, we might miss those old rules. It's like our inner selves grow up with us and sometimes crave the safety and guidance we used to get from our parents.

I remember when I was the kind of girl who cried over little things that bothered me. But as I got older, I transformed into someone who laughs and talks a lot, appearing much happier. That little girl who once struggled to find joy now smiles brightly whenever she sees dogs on her way home. It's like my inner self grew alongside me, showing me how to find happiness in the simple things.

When I was a kid, I adored chocolates more than anything else in the world. Whether Mom went out alone or took me along, I'd always beg for chocolates. But as I grew older, I stopped craving them as much. Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy them like I used to. Back then, just a small chocolate bar could make me the happiest little girl. Maybe it changed because of all the things that went wrong. I started feeling like I was to blame for everything going off-track like I didn't deserve chocolates anymore.

During my journey of healing, my inner self became my closest companion. It was like having a best friend who was always there to comfort and encourage me. This inner voice reassured me that it's okay to make mistakes and learn from them. Whenever I achieved something, like getting good grades on a test or doing something kind, I'd hear a voice inside saying, "I'm proud of you."

As we grow up, we find ourselves with more freedom than we ever had as kids. When we need comfort or advice, we turn to our imaginary friends or our inner selves before seeking help from others. It's like having a buddy who's always on our side, ready to support us no matter what. We create these imaginary friends because we know they'll agree with us, listen to us, and follow us wherever we go. Later, when we're out in the real world and feeling lost or overwhelmed, it's this friend who helps us find our way back home. because deep down we know where we belong.

Remember those rules we used to hate as kids? We wanted to break free from them, but looking back, they actually helped shape the soul of our inner selves, the ones we once called our imaginary friends. It's like having two sides to ourselves: one is the reckless, adventurous one, and the other is the wiser, kinder one. 

As I journey through life, I discover something remarkable: my imaginary friend was actually my other self all along. That person I confided in, the one who offered me advice and comfort, was a part of me I didn't fully understand.

My life becomes a story of two selves becoming the best of friends. I realized that the imaginary friend I considered close to me was actually my other self—the sensible, braver one.

In moments of uncertainty, I turn to this inner self for guidance, finding solace in its wisdom and strength. This hidden companion, once considered separate from me, becomes my most trusted confidant.

So, the next time I feel lost or overwhelmed, I remember that my imaginary friend is not just a figment of my imagination. It's a reflection of the deep connection I have with myself. I embrace this friendship, for the greatest friend I'll ever have is the one within me.

 If you have come this far, I want to tell you, talk to yourself. You know more than you know. Your best friend is probably hidden inside of you.




2 comments:

  1. Your writing is soo inspiring and this one is the most relatable one. I want you to know that your writing really helped me to heal. I would love to read moreee!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am loved

Out of all the blogs I've written, I feel like this one is going to be different. Unlike the others that were written at my study table ...